What is SharePoint?
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (WSS 3.0) is a web based portal and collaboration suite that is included with Windows server versions beginning with Windows Server 2003 and also offered by Hosted SharePoint Service Providers. Behind the functionality offered by Windows SharePoint Services are essentially five components:
- Software to manage database services, documents, security, access, and administration features built on ASP.Net 2.0 platform.
- Microsoft SQL Server database
- A mechanism for Web delivery based on Internet Information Services (IIS) Web server software.
- Web parts, basically programs built on ASP.NET, that are used to organize content in Web pages into Web part zones, while executing on the Web server.
- Sample templates that address typical collaboration needs in organizations
One can also upgrade to a low cost dedicated SharePoint server with hyper-v hosting.